Saturday, November 8, 2008

Fictional Boyfriend #28

Sorry I haven't been on in a LONG time... School has me tied up and then I was trying to finish Rumors as fast as I could. For those of you that have read it, I cried at the end and got really pissed off. How could that happen to you know who?? The only reason I started that series has abruptly been taken out. I nearly decided to add Henry to the list out of pure insanity, but thankfully the sanity returned and I have now decided that I have found someone else to fill his undeserved spot.
Since the Russian Revolution destroys her life, Anna, who is a countess, flees to England with a few members of her family. Since they are poor, Anna goes to the Westerholme family and becomes a maid. A few weeks into her service, she meets the owners' son, Rupert. Rupert is unfortunately engaged, but that doesn't stop him in taking notice of the beautiful, new maid. He ends up finding himself to be falling in love with her-just the lowly housemaid. Knowing that he can't marry her, Rupert tells Anna his feelings and decides it's just better to stick with his fiance, who he is only marrying since his family is suffering financial issues.
A sudden turn of events occurs for Anna and she is rich again. The family nurse, who was given the family jewels, finally found where the family was staying and bippity boppity boo, Anna's social status had now finally returned. She was once again a RICH countess. Rupert finds this out and is outraged that Anna didn't initially tell him who she was.
Rupert is then stuck with one problem: his nightmare of a fiance. The house servants all get together and devise a plan that will make the fiance not want to marry him anymore. Their witty plan worked and they persuaded Anna to go back to the mansion to finish up the amount of work she was contracted to. Anna only agreed to going because she thought Rupert would be in India.
When she goes to serve the food, she sees Rupert and before she can escape, his eye catches her and he goes off on her etc. Then he realizes how much he loves her and how much she loves him and well there you have it. Just another happy ending.
This book is called A Countess Below Stairs and I do recommend it, although it takes a while to get into the story and is sort of hard to read because it takes place back in the early 20th century.

3 comments:

Watching said...

I don't really like that book to much... I'm not sure why.... *sigh* Oh well. I think it's cause his fiance was an idiot no wonder he fell in love with anna when he was already engaged....but I guess the ending wasn't so bad for his fiance.... in the long run. She'll probably have perfect children;]

Anonymous said...

I didn't like that book either. Nor the characters. It took a really long for the plot to develop and the characters seemed kind of unemotional.

Watching said...

Um....Yeah,fruits basket 21 was so sad.... it almost made me cry, I hate it how the series gets more and more intense as you go along... I liked it when it was light and funny.